LMSA FPAC Advisor Orientation & Training – March 2021
Dear LMSA Advisors,
Happy New Year! Thank you for serving as an advisor to our LMSA Chapter at your institution and/or to our LMSA Regional Board. Your guidance helps to ensure that our organization flourishes on the chapter, regional and national level and that our members develop, personally and professionally, to serve as the next generation of Hispanic & Latina/o/x leaders.
As you know, part of the vision of the Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA) is to unify all medical students and allies into one organization to actively promote the recruitment, retention, and promotion of Hispanic & Latina/o/x students in medicine. As we expand our membership among undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, and medical students across the country and introduce new innovations for trainee development, we want to ensure that our advisors are knowledgeable and well prepared regarding LMSA history, policies, and practices to effectively guide our members.
One major activity that we hope you will be able to participate in is this spring’s Advisor Orientation, Training, and Update on Best Practices – part of the 16th Annual LMSA National Conference and 37th Annual LMSA West Conference. This day-long session is scheduled for Friday March 12th from 8:00am – 4:30pm PST.
In this session, we will review updates on the following:
- The values, structure, and activities of LMSA National;
- Needs and assets of Hispanic health professions trainees;
- Legal concerns for applicants and matriculants to medical school and residency programs;
- Strategies to publish content on Hispanic health, medical Spanish, and other LMSA-related work;
- Challenges to and best practices for obtaining promotion and tenure; and
- Plans to strengthen LMSA and the FPAC in 2021-22.
Please find a detailed agenda below. A Zoom link will be sent to those who register through Eventbrite the day before the event (Thursday, March 11, 2021). Additional questions may be directed to LMSA National Executive Director John Paul Sánchez at email@example.com.