Starting a Chapter
Thank you for your interest in starting a chapter at your school. Please see the tips below for guidance:
- Consult with your medical school to understand protocol for starting a student organization. It is important to make sure you are following their guidelines. There is usually a designated staff member who can give you all the information you need.
- You only need one member and a mentor to start. We suggest you seek out a faculty member that can fulfill this role.
- Become a member via our Membership Portal. Registration is easy and will give you access to our network.
- Review our constitution as well as the Chapter Bylaws Template. These documents will be needed when you present your new chapter to your medical school. You can tailor the Chapter Bylaws Template to your chapter's specific situation. These documents can be provided to you by the LMSA Chief Development Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Contact the LMSA Chief Development Officer (CDO) to help guide you through this process. Once your chapter has been officially approved at your school, inform the CDO to included your chapter in the LMSA Regional Chapter List. This step is very important or we will not be aware of its formation.
- Finally, review your region's Region-Chapter contract to understand your chapter's yearly and quarterly responsibilities. Then, contact the Regional Chief Development Officer. Once completed, your chapter will be part of our growing network!